Monday, January 30, 2012

How to make a bento box quilt?

I want to make my first quilt and I like the bento box pattern. I was wondering how to cut the pattern and what size the pieces should be. I think I want the quilt to measure out to about 75"x100". Any help would be really appreciated. Also how many yards of fabric should I buy if I want 6 different fabrics?How to make a bento box quilt?
The Bento Box Quilt is basically a half log cabin.

http://www.crazycreekquilts.com/bento-bo鈥?/a>How to make a bento box quilt?
First, IMO that size is,,, ambitious for a first quilt. That said, 7500 sq. in. divided by 1296 sq in/sq yd = ~6 yds. Divide that by 6 colors, and you're looking at a sq yard of each. Fabric is usually 44-45 in wide, which comes out to ~1.25 sq yds/running yd. Taking into account variables like waste, mistakes, selvedge, etc., I like to add 25%, so I would estimate 1.25 sq yds, or 1 running yard of each fabric.



Don't forget the backing. Backing fabric comes very wide, so 100+8 (4 inches extra on al sides is recommended) /36 = 3 running yds of backing.



As for patterns, you don't provide enough information, so try these and pick one you like (and can follow) ;-)How to make a bento box quilt?
i dont have a pattern but basicly you can make a square, lets say 4x4inch.

Then you would make a 4inch long by 4inch for 'top' of the square. then make a 6inch by 4inch strip, sew that onto the side, and so on.

Depends on the size of square you start with, is how much fabric you'll need

No comments:

Post a Comment